Being a writer is hard. Getting your writing published is even harder. Sometimes, it can feel like you’re all alone out there. That no one else knows the struggles you face pursuing your publication dreams
If you’re thinking of becoming a writer, or dream of publication, it’s better to know the challenges you’ll face from the start. Remember, though, that you’re not alone! There’s an entire community of people out there suffering just like you 🙂
10 Challenges Aspiring Authors Face:
1. Having a million ideas shooting through your head, and you can’t follow through on any of them.
2. Having NO ideas shooting through your head, and you’re grasping at straws.
3. Imagining a scene in your story perfectly in your brain, but totally blanking when you go to put it into words.
4. Writer’s Block – When your brain simply says “nope”.
5. Explaining to your friends and family that your writing isn’t just a “hobby”.
6. Editing – The act of taking the manuscript you poured your heart and soul into, and ripping it apart.
7. Procrastination – The internet is not your friend, and wants you to fail.
8. Writing a query letter – “Please love me!”
9. Swimming in rejection, more rejection, and oh, look! More rejection.
10. Starting work on your next novel while the rejection letters roll in on your first one, because you refuse to give up on your dream.
Part of the challenge to publishing is being able to overcome all the challenges to publishing. It’s those people that stick it out, are dedicated to the process, and thicken their skins that ultimately make it. It could take two months, or it could take twenty years, but if your ultimate dream is to see your very own book on a bookstore display, then you have to stay in the game. Remember, you’re not alone! We’re all struggling together.
Until next time,